Monday, November 11, 2013

Drawing Confessions Video


This video was originally inspired by John Baldessari's "I Will Not Make Any More Boring Art". I wanted to create a piece with that type of repetition, but I also wanted to create a little more visually going on in mine, and of course mine would have a different meaning. The phrase that I chose to repeat was "I hate taking my medication". I chose to emphasize the repetition of the video with the piano version of "Sail". (The song is not only repetitive, but is also about struggle with mental illness. I didn't want the words of the song to compete with the video though, so I chose the piano version.) I also chose to include the clips of me actually taking the medication to add visual variety, and to add more meaning to the words that I was writing.

Inspiration:
John Baldessari, "I Will Not Make Any More Boring Art", 1971
John Baldessari, I Will Not Make Any More Boring Art, 1971. Lithograph, 22 1/2 × 30 in. (57.2 × 76.2 cm). Printed and published by Nova Scotia College of Art and Design. Edition no. 48/50. Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; purchase with funds from Susan Hess  2007.121 © John Baldessari

No comments:

Post a Comment